The Federal School of Dental Technology and Therapy is one of the Institutions supervised by the Federal Ministry of Health and one of the eighteen Federal Polytechnics in Nigeria. The School was established in 1955 at No.1 Broad Street, Lagos State, as Federal School of Dental Technology and Hygiene. The primary aim then was to produce Dental Technicians and Hygienists. It underwent a series of transformations and eventually metamorphosed into Federal School of Dental Technology and Therapy in 1978 with an enlarged objective to produce Dental Technolgists and Therapists. The school was relocated to Federation close along Jim Nwobodo Avenue, Trans-Ekulu, Enugu State in 1982.
The school offers programmes in Dental Therapy at the National and Higher National Diploma Levels. Graduates are expected to fulfill a mandatory one year Internship before being mobilized for the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC).
Graduates practice as full professionals in Nigeria after registration with Dental Technologists or Dental Therapists Registration Boards of Nigeria.
Federal School of Dental Technolgoy and Therapy, Engu is a training Institution for Dental Technologists and Therapists. It also provides Clinical Services for Oral Health related problems in the area of preventive, Curative and Restorative Dentistry.
The school was transformed from Diploma awarding to Higher National Diploma (HND) awarding institution in 1998 after a successful accreditation exercise by the National Board for Technical Eduction (NBTE). Many developments took place after the accreditation and the underlisted were some of the innovations recorded.
- The nomeclature of the Chief Executive Officer changed from Principal to Rector
- Admission into the School is through Joint Admission and Matriculation Board Examination (MPCE, JAMB)
- The curriculum was expanded to accomodate the basic sciences and other relevant courses that will make graduates ofthe school compete favourably with their counter parts in the health sector
- More students are offered admission into the school
- More teaching facilities are provided especially for students practical work, e.g Phantom Heads, Trimming Machines, Fish Pond, Computer, Overhead Projector etc.
- The institution was properly departmentalized and qualified professionals employed especially in the area of academic.
Research & Output
At FEDSDTTEN we engage in research activities both in the laboratories and community levels. Some of the outstanding results of our research activities are the following products;
- Recycling of used gypsum products (Stones and Plasters)
- Local fabrication of silica bonded investment material
- Propounding herbal toothpaste
- Local production of mouthwash with Garcinia Cola (Bitter Kola)
- Local production of Curing Bath etc
The school is duly recognized for Bio-prospective and Biotechnological Research.